How Norge Dental Center Can Help Ease Your Tooth PainTooth pain is a common cause for many patients to see their dentists. During your consultation or appointment, we’ll evaluate your specific symptoms and create a plan tailored to your needs. When possible, your natural tooth will be preserved. If an extraction is necessary, we follow up with an appropriate restorative procedure to replace the extracted tooth. Here are five of the most common symptoms and causes of tooth pain:
- Sensitive Teeth: Sensitive teeth may react to hot, cold, or sweet foods and drinks. We recommend a toothpaste for sensitive teeth if the discomfort is minor.
- Tooth decay: If tooth pain is persistent and worsens, it may be a sign of tooth decay. We commonly treat severe pain with a root canal. Your dentist will remove the enflamed tooth pulp before sealing the tooth with a dental crown.
- Abscessed Tooth: The cause of severe tooth pain, an abscessed tooth involves infected material, or pus, created by a bacterial infection in the center of a tooth. This infection may also spread to surrounding gum tissue and possibly bone.
- Jaw Pain: Jaw pain is often a sign of an underlying TMJ disorder. TMJ disorders contribute to tooth pain due to the pressure in the jaw joints when alignment or proper contact between teeth is an issue. This often causes unnecessary teeth grinding and wear.
- Painful Chewing: If you experience pain while chewing, a cracked tooth, loose filling, or broken crown could be to blame. Cavities are another common cause of tooth pain that occurs while chewing.